Friday, July 10, 2009

what I do in a typical day. There are 2 social work shifts and always two social workers on duty. One is from 9am until 6 at night. This one is the easiest because the kids are at school from 7- 4, but they go to school at the home so... you have to supervise lunch and be available if there are any problems. Also if you work this shift you have to take any sick kids to the hospital. Recently there have been a lot of kids sick so we have spent the last three days at the hospital all day. In the compound the kids will not stop talking but once we get in front of people at the hospital it seems they forget how to talk. This was frustrating at first because they speak the language and we do not and we had no idea what we were doing. Our first trip to the hospital was quite hilarious. I thought about how when I go to the doctor that I like to let my mom be the one who does the talking too... and we are technically the "parents" for these kids... so now i kind of like to be able to take them to the hospital. It also gives you a chance to spend time with a small group instead of all 160. The night shift is from 6pm til 9am. This one is fun because you get to spend more time with the kids. They eat dinner at 6:30 ( if anyone has seen the movie hook.... Elaine and i often compare our meal times here to a scene in hook) then after dinner they go to class until 9 and then bed. class 7 and 8 usually have teachers come at night to class but we work with the younger ones and help with homework and studying. Then we get to wake up at 5.. and wake up all the kids get them ready, have them clean the dorms and compound, and eat breakfast then to school at 7. so that is what Elaine and I do everyday. We have really come to love these kids... and it feels like home here. It really will be hard to leave. The kids share everything with us... cups, spoons, jackets, music, food... I have told Elaine sometimes I feel like I am becoming one of them eating my ugali with my hands as i stare at some strange tv show.. waiting for someone to finish with their spoon so i can use it ... I feel like these are my friends and brothers more than Social Worker and Client. The weekends usually consist of dance parties, soccer volleyball and basketball tournaments. Elaine and I have beat the highshool boys in basketball a few times and earned some respect. They think that girls cannot be good in any sports. Sundays are maybe my favorite day. We have our own church service put on by the kids. It starts with presentations where people can sing songs ( we have several gospel/rap groups) or read verses. I absolutely love it. These goes on for about 45 mins and then there is a message. God is doing some amazing things in these kids. I love them with all of my heart and i hope you all with keep them in your prayers. They have come so far but... the journey is not over. Hope everyone is doing well! see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment